Autumn adorns herself in the most vibrant shades of gold, amber, orange, burgundy, and scarlet…and you should do the same! But you don’t have to break the bank to look fashionable this fall.
If you are adventurous, take a trip to your local thrift store…visit the thrift chain stores but don’t forget your local charity secondhand stores. I am a tried-and-true patron of our local Catholic thrift store.
But if you don’t want to leave the warmth and comfort of your home, you can easily find these items by surfing Poshmark, Mercari, and Ebay while you bask in the warmth of your hearth. Think fuzzy socks, warm blank, fireplace roaring…and Autumn Hallmark movies!
So let’s talk about the FIVE areas where you can shop secondhand (Poshmark, Mercari, Ebay, thrift store, etc.) and SAVE money:
- Cozy Sweaters: Ah the cozy Autumn sweater…its warmth and comfort celebrates the cuddle aspect of Autumn. It is like a warm blanket that we wrap ourselves in before we leave our home. But the cozy Autumn sweater is my #1 area in which you can save money by buying secondhand this Fall. Look for colors that mimic the leaves as they fall from the trees: gold, amber, orange, burgundy, scarlet, brown, etc. And don’t forget sweaters with this year’s hottest trend…ANIMAL PRINT! You can easily save 50%-90% off retail prices on brand-name sweaters by shopping on Poshmark, Ebay, Mercari or your local thrift store!
- Puffy Vests: Hello, my name is Val and I admit that I am VEST OBSESSED. Autumn can be a time where the weather is warm one day and cool the next, or cool in the morning and roasting by the afternoon. (Meanwhile, I am sitting by the window as I type waiting for the appearance of our first snow flurries of the season and its only October.) A puffy vest will keep your torso warm during the cool times yet easily peels off if the temps warm up in the afternoon. With that said, I am always SHOCKED at the prices I see on these items on Poshmark, Ebay, and Mercari! But if you think those prices are shockingly low, venture out to your local thrift store for even cheaper prices! But the best thing about buying your puffy vest secondhand is that you won’t have to worry about running into someone else wearing the same vest. Secondhand shopping ensures that your wardrobe is one of a kind!
- Vintage Jeans: This is a no brainer. If you know your size/measurements and what brands fit your best, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD buy these items secondhand!!! I wore Express jeans for 20+ years. I knew exactly what size and length to pick up every time I went into their store. Currently, those jeans retail for $79.00 – $88.00. But a quick search on Poshmark reveals that I can buy those SAME JEANS for only $14.00 – $25.00 … a savings of $65.00 – $74.00!!! That is a substantial savings that you can then put toward other things, like paying off your debt OOOOORRRRR purchasing that Tory Burch handbag you’ve been eyeing!
- Vintage Jackets: This is an area where you can really individualize your style. When you buy a vintage jacket secondhand, you are certain not to find anyone else wearing the same. Look for suede, wool, and tweed jackets in bright Autumn colors. (Hold off on the gray and black colors for awhile.) Pair these jackets with jeans, boots, and a warm scarf to look fashionable. And while you are secondhand shopping, keep an eye out for stylish winter coast. After all, Winter is coming…
- Warm Scarves: This is the area where I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to pay retail prices. There is no way I am paying $400 for a wool or cashmere scarf from a retail chain. If you are looking for a wool or cashmere scarf, search Poshmark to save 90% off retail prices. (I personally prefer cashmere from Scotland!) If you are looking for a knit scarf, search Etsy to have a warm and cozy scarf CUSTOM MADE to match your style. Either way, you can easily layer a soft scarf over any sweater to look stylish!